Saturday, July 7, 2012

In Whose Footsteps?

In Whose Footsteps?

Psalm 23
First Presbyterian Church of Batesville, AR
25 April, 2010

            When I was seminary intern at Central Presbyterian Church in Austin, the pastor and associate pastor were out of town at the same time one week and I got the call that the friend of a member of our church had died quite suddenly.  She was a young woman and her family was in shock and asked that I come over to be with them and begin preparations for the funeral. 

I changed out of my grad school attire in to my good grey preacher suit and armed with my at that point unused Book of Worship set out to make my first pastoral call on the family of a deceased member.  Now in seminary they prepare you to plan an actual funeral service, but they leave out the part about what you should say when you get to the door.  When I reached the family’s home, I rang the doorbell not knowing what I would say when the door opened.  A few seconds later, the door opened and the husband of this young woman stood there in front of me, his eyes swollen and red, looking to me to be his pastor, and I froze.  I did not know what to say.  Then, without thinking I began to recite the 23rd Psalm faster than it has ever been said before.

When I finished my breathless recitation of those ancient words, I returned to my frozen posture once again at a loss for words.  A few seconds that seemed like an eternity transpired until the silence was broken by the laughter of the husband standing in the door.   He put his hand on my shoulder and said, “I needed that.  Get in here.”

Whether set to the beautiful melodies of countless hymn tunes or recited in the staccato ramblings of a newbie preacher, these words have an almost mystical power to sooth and comfort.   The grip these words have on biblical spirituality and theology is deep and it is real.  It seems almost pretentious to attempt to preach on these words.  It bears witness to itself in its simplicity and scarcely needs any help from me.  Yet, like so much of scripture, there lurks a wealth of truth waiting to be found beneath the surface of the familiar.

Taking nothing from the emotional and spiritual power of the Psalm as hymn of comfort, there is much more to be found if we peer beyond the surface and allow the text to live in our midst.

It is often said that familiarity breeds contempt, but I would wager to say that with a text like this it is more a matter of familiarity breeding numbness.  Like a garden or even a relationship that requires attention and tending, scripture continues to call us back for yet another reading that, in the hand of the Holy Spirit, even the most familiar and comfortable words might stir our souls and draw us ever deeper into communion with God and one another.

When we dwell with the language of the psalm we soon discover that the message of the psalmist is not merely that God relieves our sorrow and fears.  There is more than healing balm in these words. 

There is transformation, empowerment and even a little danger lurking beneath the still waters.

The writer of this psalm is not merely waxing philosophical about a love for God that runs a mile wide and an inch deep.  This is not the stuff of momentary emotional comfort found in a Hallmark card or an especially touching AT&T ad.  No, the comfort the psalmist finds in the Lord is the comfort that comes when one’s whole being is surrounded in the whelming flood of God’s goodness and grace. 

There is a local band here in Batesville named the Wizzbangers.  Its members are all teenagers and their music reflects the kind of all-encompassing emotion that is so familiar at that age.  This is especially true with one particular psychedelic/punk love song.  The song sings about a love that consumes.  When you fall in love as a teenager, well before the experience of life has had a chance to shade or jade, the whole world becomes about that love.   

That is the kind of peace and comfort the psalmist writes about is just that kind of intense feeling.  The Lord is my shepherd is not somehow an expression of benign satisfaction.  It is a proclamation to the world that the Lord, to the exclusion of all other claimants, is the sole guide and guardian in our lives.  The Lord is our everything.  If the Lord is my shepherd, then no one and nothing else can be.   To declare with the psalmist that the Lord is my shepherd is to believe the way we loved as teenagers; wholly, with our entire being, without reservation, and with a confidence that will not waver.

It is precisely God’s companionship that transforms us and every situation in our lives.  It does not mean that there are no more valleys of the shadow of death, no enemies who stand before us.   Those are very real and persistent parts of our world.  The Lord is my shepherd does not eliminate the valley of the shadow of death, but it does declare our deep and abiding faith that we do not walk it alone.

In the German town of Dachau during WW2 there was a Nazi death camp.  It is a museum to the Holocaust now and in that museum is a picture.   It is a photograph of a mother and her daughter being marched to the gas chamber at Auschwitz.  There is nothing the mother can do to stop it, nothing she can do to prevent what will come when they come to the end of their short walk to the building ahead, so she does the only thing she can, the only act of love available to her; she puts her hand over her daughter’s eyes so she cannot see what is coming.[1] 

There is no way to know what that mother said to her daughter in that moment, but I chose to believe that she echoed the beautiful words of comfort we hear today, “he Lord is my shepherd.”  That though they walked through the deepest valley death has ever known, and stood face to face with an enemy so great as to stupefy the imagination, these powerful words of comfort and proclamation spoke through time and, in a mother’s had shielding the eyes of her child, declared to the world, this is not the end. 

I wonder if I would have the courage of that mother.  I wonder if, faced with the kind of darkness that loomed that day, I would have the presence of mind to make even the smallest gesture of faith to cover the eyes of a child.  I say I wonder if I would because like so many in our culture, I find myself being pulled in different directions by different shepherds.

We live in a time when there is a pervading sense that meaning has lost its meaning, that truth has become more difficult to hold on to than a soapy three year old who refuses to stay in the tub.  We live lives suspended between the restlessness of our hearts that long for the God of our ancestors and the anxieties of a world that declares such things to be foolish remnants of a time gone by.  We become seduced by the complexity of our contemporary world and the layers of geo-political, military, economic and other intricacies of our ever changing human community, what Walker Percy called being “lost in the cosmos.”  

We construct such great walls to separate us from God when all we need to do is stop and lay in the grass.  Pause beside the still water.  We do not have to look far to find the one who calls us by name because the shepherd stands not at a distance but in the midst of the flock. 

It is in God the good shepherd that we find our rest, our nourishment, our comfort and our care in the greenest fields and the darkest valleys.  The shepherd feeds and tends and, when necessary, fights off the wolves.  The shepherd loves the flock and we love the shepherd.

The Lord is my shepherd and it is in the shepherd’s footsteps that I seek to walk…

…all the days of my life.

In the name of God, the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  AMEN.


[1] This observation, in slightly different form, was made by Tom Long in a sermon preached at the Festival of Homiletics in Washington D.C. May 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment